Procrastination by Poulton

Where I post my thoughts of the day

Monday, June 26, 2006

Chicken & Rib Fest

So this past Saturday I attended the International Chicken-Rib Cook-off in downtown Ottawa. You see these events on TV all the time. Teams from across North America come to little 'ol Ottawa to compete for the best ribs, etc. This was the first time I have attended such an event.
Pete, Brad, Sanjay and I put on our "comfy" pants and headed down for some gorging - and boy was there gorging.
The first problem is determining where to get your ribs from. There were probably 10+ vendors down there, all selling a full rack for $20. Unfortunately they don't have samples or anything so you really don't know what you are getting unless you ask around. My suggestion would be to have little cups of the sauce that you could try.
Lacking any formal selection process we applied the only know selection criteria that we could - the longest line-up must be the best ribs. 3 of us went to one place with Pete getting his from another.
In the end the ribs were OK. I think Pete's were better than ours. Would I do it again? Yeah, probably but my advice is to look at the quality of the ribs being BBQ'd. I was a little disappointed in the quality of meat I was eating. I've had better elsewhere.

Oh yeah, and wear comfy pants. It was definitely nap time after that sitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home